Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"This Is What It Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona"

This story left me without feeling, just like "Yellow Woman." It dealt with Native Americans as well, but I felt like it had different themes. The only real similarity is discussing how nobody wants to listen to Thomas' stories anymore; their oral history/heritage no longer matters to them.

The story focused more on the unfortunate circumstances of living on a reservation. Even though the story was about a son going to gather up the remains of his father, there was no concentration on the classic father/son theme. All we know is they are estranged, and he is going so he can collect a few hundred dollars from his father's account and collect the body. There was no emotional attachment to that part of the story, at least not that I could find. The death acted merely as an initiation, or part of the conflict. Its function wasn't central to the story.

I didn't know whether or not the story meant to focus on Thomas' and Victor's friendship. I didn't quite put together how the flashbacks were related. I think it might have been to juxtapose how they were once friends and their strained relationship now. It also heightens the fact that Victor will not renew his friendship with Thomas even after their trip. It was selfish on Victor's part, even when he knows that his father asked Thomas to look after him.

Another interesting part of the story was the death of the jack rabbit from the car. For some reason I was reminded of The Grapes of Wrath and the discussion of the turtle in the beginning of the novel. I recalled Jim Casey for some reason, though I don't think there are in Jesus figures in this novel, maybe Thomas, except no one listens to him. The symbolism of Thomas beginning to drive and almost immediately killing the jack rabbit is puzzling to me. I can't make it fit together, just like the rest of the story.

The story also briefly touches upon the poor quality of treatment in reservations. The tribal council speaks condescendingly to Victor, saying over and over, "Now, Victor." They only give him one hundred dollars even though he needs to go do Phoenix. Also, "Who does have money on a reservation, except the cigarette and fireworks salespeople?" There isn't too much focus on poor living conditions and poverty on the reservation, but it's evident in the way the council treats Victor.

I was also confused by the plane scene where Thomas starts laughing and joking with the Olympic gymnast and he makes the comment that they have a lot in common for being angry with the government. Victor is embarrassed by Thomas' gaffe, yet later he apologizes for beating Thomas up when he was drunk while they were kids. Thomas even saved Victor from stepping in an underground wasp nest (a scene which made me cringe and had to put down the book for a minute or two).

I also liked the quote of "They hated Thomas for his courage, his brief moment as a bird. Everybody has dreams about flying. Thomas flew." It's ironic that Thomas is someone they all shun for retaining their cultural heritage, but he is the only one brave enough to go out to Spokane or try to fly, even if he does break his arm.

Also, I think it's interesting that when Victor says he needs to look for valuable things, Thomas assumes he means money or valuable items, when really Victor only means mementos, photos, sentimental items. That redeemed Thomas just a little bit in my eyes, but not by much. I wasn't much of a fan of Victor. I didn't dislike him exactly, but I didn't like him either.

All in all, this story was empty and bare to me. It wasn't even like Ernest Hemingway, because I couldn't even begin to feel the layers underneath. I couldn't read between the lines or look underneath the surface. There was nothing there, and I don't know how to interpret. Simply put, I was dissatisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment